I am fighting back against Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) with natural foods, stress reduction, and by embracing my inner flower child (making everything from scratch, and eating all those yummy natural foods)in addition to my medications. All of this is carefully balanced with my busy life as a homeschooling single mom of 2 boys, the exhaustion that RA brings, and a very limited budget. I would like to share my journey with you, so that it may benefit you as well, or give you a better understanding of what it is to fight this disease.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A little more about me


I was born in the early 1970's to parents living a "back to the land" lifestyle.  My father was a Volkswagon mechanic, and my mom stayed home with us kids.  In preparation for the world to fall apart, my parents learned how to do many things by hand, and tried to stay off the grid as much as possible.

Because of this, I knew how to cook, can, dehydrate, and store foods before I left home.  I also learned to spin, weave, knit, sew, crochet, and many other handcrafts.  We had a goat for milk, raised sheep and chickens, and had a relatively uncomplicated life.  I was homeschooled before homeschooling was "cool", and that led to a lifelong love of learning.

I have always been a bit of a perfectionist, and have held myself to a high standard.  I expect to be able to do anything I put my mind to, and I have a terrible time asking for help.  As you can imagine, these tendencies, combined with being a single mom who homeschools and works, lead to my stress level being very high most of the time.  I have known stress is not a great thing, and that most of my flare ups start with extreme stress, but I told myself that it couldn't be helped.  Recently, my Chiropractor told me that it is critical to reduce my stress, as this is leading to my body's inability to heal itself.  I know that this is a key part of the road to health, so I plan to find ways to lower the stress, even if I can't change my circumstances.

At age 31, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. Now 8 years later, I am trying to fight back against the disease by managing stress and returning to the simple, unprocessed, nutritious foods I enjoyed in my youth.  I will share my research and recipes, and give you one woman's experience trying to wade through the jungle of information at our disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment